Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chilli Corned Beef - Kerala Style

I absolutely love the Kerala style of Chilli Beef. Cooking that however involves some preparation and is a tad time consuming. Today I was in the mood to eat something spicy, but was so famished by the time I got home that I wanted it to cook real quick. So I took inspiration from the Kerala Chilli Beef and this is what I created.

I used a can of Corned Beef. Yes, processed. To make up for that, all the other ingredients I used were either fresh or homemade. The masala powder I used is courtesy my Sister-in-Law's Mother. She makes the most aromatic, fantastic masala powder that I actually use when I cook the Kerala Chilli Beef the way my S-i-L taught me to.

Do watch the salt when you use Corned Beef because there's already a lot of salt in it.

Chilli Corned Beef - Kerala Style

Ingredients

2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 large onion finely sliced
50-100g of fresh ground ginger garlic paste
3-6 slit green chillies
400-500g of Corned Beef
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1 teaspoon of masala powder
50-100g of grated coconut
salt to taste

Method

Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot, lower the flame and add the onions. Cook till the onions start turning translucent, then add the ginger-garlic paste. Cook till the raw smell disappears, then add the green chillies and saute on high heat for a minute. Mash and add the corned beef to the pan continuing to saute on high heat till the fat starts to melt. Then add the cumin and masala powders. Stir in on high heat then lower the flame. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add the grated coconut, and salt if required. Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.

Serve hot with steamed rice. Or use as a filling to make sandwiches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment