Sunday, January 20, 2013

Krispy Kreme in Bangalore

Krispy Kreme opened their first outlet in India yesterday, on Church Street in Bangalore. This is great news, because I am a huge fan of Krispy Kreme donuts. I 'liked' their Facebook page days in advance, and watched in mild horror as they used a 'Black Friday' gimmick to draw a crowd to the opening.

The first person to buy a dozen donuts got a year's supply of free donuts, once each week; the second person got a six month supply, the third person got a 3 month supply; the fourth - hundredth persons got a one month supply; and the hundred and first - two hundredth persons got a dozen donuts free.

I stayed away. If not for the crowd that I am sure that gimmick drew, I 'd like to believe that I'd have been at the opening.


Today my brother B, sister-in-law D, and nephew Sidd came over to my home for lunch. Post lunch we sat around chatting and the opening of Krispy Kreme came up. So we decided to head out there and check out the scene.

The Hot Light was lit. It was packed and noisy. The staff looked friendly. I noticed a couple of them posing for pictures with or taking pictures of customers.  People had lined up to buy the donuts. I joined the queue and was a tad disappointed when the fella distributing sample Original Glazed donuts ran out of them just one person before me. It was fun to watch the donuts moving along the conveyor belt.

I reached the counter to select donuts in a few minutes. I decided to buy a dozen Original Glazed and a dozed assorted donuts. The fella that boxed my donuts was friendly and patient. He boxed 3 Original Glazed and 3 assorted donuts each in 4 boxes meant for half a dozen donuts, then informed me that I'd get the Double Dozen (a dozen Original Glazed and a dozen assorted donuts) deal for the lot.

The fella and felle that billed my double dozen however were rude, argumentative, and stupid. First they charge me for 2 dozen assorted donuts. Then, when I pointed out that I was eligible for the Double Dozen deal, they opened each box and counted the number of Original Glazed and assorted donuts. Next they argued that because I'd asked for my donuts to be split into 4 boxes of half a dozen donuts each, and not in  2 boxes of a dozen each I was not eligible for the Double Dozen deal. (Complaining? Definitely.)

So I get charged a 120 bucks more because I chose to have my donuts boxed in 4 smaller boxes rather than 2 larger boxes? Reluctantly they voided that bill and rang up another one, after I threatened never to return there again. (Luckily they didn't know me, else they would have known what a fib that was.) After a minor mishap involving the rude felle who input wrong information into the card machine and said that my debit card had been declined; and the transaction going through the second time after I pointed out to her what options to choose; I was in possession of 2 dozens of Krispy Kreme donuts. (Yay!!!)

We opened 2 of the boxes and wolfed down an Original Glazed donut each. The Original Glazed donuts were authentic. B and D liked them too. The assorted donuts I'd picked up were: Glazed Chocolate Cake, Glazed Vanilla Cake, Cinnamon Apple filled, Chocolate Iced Custard filled, Powdered Blueberry filled, and Powdered Strawberry filled. We started nibbling on the assorted donuts, and I have no complaints about the Shells. But the Cakes were different, moister and softer than the ones that I've eaten in California.(Still not complaining about the donuts.)


Sidd, the new Krispy Kreme fan in the Family. 
I was happy and high on sugar. I took some pictures and decided to upload them on Facebook. So I asked a passing staff fella for the WiFi password. He comes back and refuses to share the password with me because the WiFi is not for the use of a mere mobile phone. My iPhone was suitable offended. Apple are you hearing this? (More complaining.) I love Krispy Kreme donuts, but crowded or not, the behavior of some of the staff was very off-putting. Krispy Kreme are you hearing this?

And while I'm on the topic, where are the Maple Glazed donuts? Where I say? Where? Some of my favorites from the ones I've eaten in California are not available here. (Not quite complaining. Merely pointing out so that Krispy Kreme can fix this situation.) I also saw a Mango & Kreme Krunch. Total cliche, but will reserve my opinion till I try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment